Mexican Hot Chocolate Baked Donuts
This delicious Donut recipe is inspired by the chocolate and spices used in the traditional hot chocolate drink of Mexico!
The first chocolate beverages were believed to have been created by the Aztecs about 2000 years ago. Mexican Hot Chocolate typically has spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and even chilies.
FUN FACT: Where does Chocolate come from? It comes from beans that grow inside a pod of a cacao tree. It takes 400 cacao beans to make a pound of chocolate!
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Wooden spoons or rubber spatulas
- Donut pans or mini donut pans
- Ziploc bags or pastry bags
- Cooking spray
- Cooking racks
- Oven mitts
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup hot chocolate powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- cinnamon optional
- chocolate sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease doughnut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa, hot chocolate powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar and oil and stir until combined (don’t overmix, but make sure everything is combined evenly).
- Scoop into a large piping bag or freezer bag and pipe a circle around each doughnut
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs or dry (not batter!).
- Let sit in the pan a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk the sugar, hot chocolate powder, and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth. Add 2-3 tbsp milk and whisk until you reach desired consistency. Add additional cinnamon and cayenne to taste if desired.
- Dip each doughnut into the glaze, then overturn, place on a wire rack and add sprinkles and marshmallows if desired.